Computer Donations and Refurbishing
OBCED distributes and refurbishes new and previously owned computers. The computers are given to local residents who are not able to afford a computer. OBCED is a Microsoft Registered Refurbisher and will properly decommission previously owned computers using the government data-wiping standards of the Department of Defense. OBCED will then issue a Certificate of Destruction if requested. The refurbished computers will be issued to community members who meet the program standards.
Benefits of Allowing OBCED to Decommission your Previously Owned Hardware:
- Protect corporate data: disposing of computer through a Microsoft Registered Refurbisher helps to protect your valuable business data. Because we are required to meet government standards for data removal, you can feel safe knowing that your data has been removed.
- Demonstrate community leadership through computer disposal via refurbishment: you are helping to supply computers that will be refurbished and provided to those who need them most: disadvantaged individuals, groups and nonprofit organizations. This is an ideal way to show support by giving back to those in need.
- Provide a viable solution to decrease waste: you are helping to advocate reuse and decrease waste by keeping your old, but usable, computers out of landfills to reduce waste and environmental impact.
Policies for Data Wiping
In compliance with the Department of Defense standard 5220.22-M a Certificate of Erasure is generated upon successful erasure of the entire hard drive. Below are the methods we use to ensure that all sensitive data is removed from your previously owned hardware:
- Parted Magic and DBan are both hard drive and partition eraser software that ensure files and documents are properly destroyed
- Kanguru Hard Drive Duplicator has a Department of Defense-approved disk wiping feature
General Information for all Donations
Condition: Excellent, Good. All cords, cables, and relevant accessories must be included. Computers, laptops, cords, cables and accessories must be cleaned and wiped down before donation.
Donation Quantity: Except for the U of M / OIT, donations accepted based on current need and available space.
Pickup/Drop Off: Will travel up to 20 miles from the TEC Office for pick up for Corporate Technology Donations. Drop-offs are accepted by appointment only, Monday – Friday, 10:00 am – 3:00 pm.
For any other types of devices: i.e. Chromebooks, mobile devices, tablets, printers, monitors, please contact us at [email protected] or call 612-624-3704